A Few Lodge Rules
Check-in time – 2.00 pm
Check-out time – 10.00 am
We are flexible with these times depending on whether the room is available or needed.
Reception Hours: 7:30 am to 7.00 pm every day (in winter 8.00 am to 6.00 pm)
Free car parking for guests only
Free fibre speed WiFi for guests only
Smokers & Vapers
Abel Tasman Lodge is a non-smoking, non-vaping hotel. New Zealand has strict non-smoking laws regarding smoking in and around public buildings. Please respect our non-smoking policy in all lodge buildings. There are serious fines which we are required to enforce. Sorry smokers!
If you get a bit carried away in the rooms and it requires extra cleaning, we may need to charge an extra fee. You’d expect that.
We love animals, in fact, we have a spoodle called Lulu. But like all pets, she doesn’t stay in the chalets at the Lodge. So sorry pet lovers, we can’t accommodate them here.
To confirm your booking, we require a payment card (Mastercard, Visa or AMEX) valid for the period of your stay including long number, expiry date and 3-digit security code. No valid card, no booking.
We generally operate a ‘Pay When You Stay’ policy, except in accordance with our cancellation policy.
At check-in, we ask for a valid payment card – which we take a photo of (downloaded to a secure vault) and destroy after the end of your stay (a few days after, in case we need to use it for postage payments for lost property – read on!). We do not take any money from this card unless requested at the time. We also ask for an email address, if we don’t already have this, just in case we need to contact you regarding lost property – you’d be surprised what we have had to post back!
Cancellations within 14 days of, or failure to arrive on, the confirmed arrival date will be liable for 100% of the booking.
Reductions to the length of stay within 14 days of the confirmed arrival date will also be liable for 100% of the agreed booking. This also applies to early checkout. ‘No shows’ will be charged 100% of the applicable rate of the total stay.
Due to our intimate size, any cancellation affects us significantly. We do recommend that you have travel insurance.
All cancellations must be in writing (via email only). We do not accept cancellations via telephone, to avoid confusion.
For clarification, 14 days, means 14 days from the arrival date in New Zealand time.
Extra person charges may apply where relevant. Children 3 and under are free (if booked via this website, only). Please do let us know if you have an extra person, even if they are under 3, so we can ensure we provide for them.
Children under the age of 18 years of age must be accompanied by a legal guardian or parent if staying at the Abel Tasman Lodge.
Other Stuff / Disclaimer
We have other basic policies, rules and obvious ways to act when you stay with us. Generally, they follow a commonsense approach – but if you do something that requires us to fix it, expect for us to ask you for a contribution.
Website Translation (if and when we do it!)
We’ve done our best to translate this website into various languages. A couple of languages we have asked native speakers to help us. But in general we have used Google. Therefore we won’t be held responsible for any language mistakes you find in non-KIWI (i.e. English) languages.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner provides further details of the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects personal information in New Zealand. This act was updated in 2020.
The information we collect
As part of our operations we may gather certain types of information about the visitors at www.abeltasmanlodge.co.nz:
1. Personally Identifiable Information. This is provided by you when you register for services that we may offer. Examples of these services could include events or discounts. Providing this information will always be optional for you. However, some services may not be available to you if you choose not to provide it. The data (which is held in a secure data warehouse) we collect include:
- Personal data – Name, city, country, contact phone number, email address
- Financial data – Payment card details – deleted within a few weeks of you staying with us
- Technical data – IP address, time of booking, language
- Marketing data – How you booked with us.
2. Aggregated Data. This information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our site. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personally identifiable information that you may have provided.
Who we share this information with:
1. The information may be hosted with a service provider. Our agreements with them protect the information that we collect from any unauthorised use
2. The aggregated data (not the personally identifiable information) may be shared with third parties such as advertisers or business partners. Can’t imagine why though.
3. Your personally identifiable information may be shared with third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law. That’s the law.
4. Only if your prior permission has been obtained (which we would usually do at the time of collection), may we share the information with specified third parties. Can’t imagine doing this.
What else we do with personally identifiable information
We have collected this information in order to provide the best possible service to you while you are visiting our site. To this end we may use the information that you provide for the following purposes:
1. To verify your identity if you need help with one of our services
2. To process any transactions that you might make on our website or after you have stayed with us, for example, lost property
3. To help provide any other services that you have requested
4. To offer the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests
5. For any marketing, promotional, publicity, marketing or market research that we might undertake
6. For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
What about cookies?
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer and is recognised by our server when you visit our sites. A cookie does not provide us with any personally identifiable information. It does provide details of your IP address, the computer platform that you use (e.g. Mac or Windows), the browser that you use (e.g. Microsoft Explorer or Netscape) and what domain you are accessing our site from. With this information we can do the following:
1. Track traffic patterns to our site
2. Ensure that the most relevant content is being shown.
What about our advertisers and business partners?
Opting-in and opting-out
You will always have the option to opt in to certain services and to opt out of those services at any stage. This means you may change your mind at any stage about participating in any of our services. Just get in touch with us.
Can we change this policy?
Your right to access our information
The Privacy Act of 1993 and updated in 2020 gives you the right to access and correct your personal information. To find out more about how to do this, please contact us at Abel Tasman Lodge by phone or email. Alternatively, post your corrections to the attention of Scott Hendry, Director at Abel Tasman Lodge, 295 Sandy Bay-Mārahau Road, Mārahau, RD2 Motueka 7197, New Zealand.
Abel Tasman Lodge respects privacy rights under the Privacy Act 2020 and is required to comply with the privacy principles in respect to the collection of personal information from individuals.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand and shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of New Zealand courts.
Abel Tasman Lodge Risk Disclosure Statement
We are committed to ensuring your safety and well-being during your stay with us. However as you are aware there are some risks associated with travel and where you stay. Please ensure you take active responsibility for your self and read the following:
- Property Risks: While we take extensive measures to maintain our property, accidents or unforeseen incidents may occur. These could include slip and fall accidents, property damage, or malfunctioning equipment. Guests are advised to exercise caution and adhere to all posted safety guidelines within the premises.
- Natural Disasters and Weather Conditions: Natural disasters, such as earthquakes, storms, or floods, can occur unexpectedly. While our building is designed to withstand such events, there is always an element of risk. Guests are encouraged to familiarise themselves with emergency exits and evacuation procedures.
- Fire Safety: We have fire safety protocols in place, including smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. However, fires can still pose a risk. Guests should exercise caution when using heating appliances or smoking in designated areas only. Candles are not permitted to be used on the premises
- Recreational Activities and Amenities: Participation in recreational activities or the use of amenities (e.g., spa pool, outdoor games) carries inherent risks. Guests are advised to use equipment properly and responsibly and know their limitations. Failing to use equipment properly could result in serious injury or worse
- Medical Emergencies: In the event of a medical emergency, we will assist in summoning emergency assistance and providing first aid where we can. In an emergency call 111. Our location is 295 Sandy Bay-Mārahau Road, Mārahau. An AED is located at Aqua Taxi building 100 metres to the right out of our gate.
- Security and Personal Belongings: We provide security measures to safeguard your belongings, but we are not responsible for any loss, theft, or damage to personal items. Guests are welcome to use our safe held at reception, lock doors and report any suspicious activity to our staff