Keeping the Beautiful, Beautiful
Businesses of any size can have a positive influence on the climate.
We may be small, but becoming a climate positive business is a powerful step for us.
Proud to be climate positive
In 2020, we partnered with EKOS and are proud to be a Climate Positive Business Operator. We have measured and offset 120% (at least) of our carbon footprint for 2020-21 with certified carbon credits. These credits are sourced from projects that grow and protect forests in New Zealand and help to deliver climate resilience, waterways protection, erosion control, biodiversity conservation and community economic development.
It’s all part of Keeping the Beautiful, Beautful!
We love to, and prefer to, support the people that make up our community. From the team that make our chalets so clean, to the local artisans, suppliers and partners. Everything from our body wash to our innovatively designed showers. It’s about making the most of what we have in our wider region.
Reusable is integral to our business initiative to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Reducing our environmental impact is vital. We have started by removing plastic bin liners from our chalet rubbish bins (we now use biodegradable liners in the bathroom, for hygiene reasons). You can assist by considering what you throw away as landfill.
So how can you help in reusing products? Why not consider only using reusable water bottles at the Lodge. We appreciate it’s a big ask, but we provide amazing tap water, purified and cleaned to the highest standards and what’s more – FREE!
We strongly encourage recycling throughout the Lodge by offering several ways to recycle both in your chalets and near our communal kitchen.
Sustainability for the Abel Tasman Lodge is about endeavouring to make what we already have be better, last longer. Throughout our business, you will see it mentioned but more importantly in the actions we take. Just some of the small steps:
- Continual replanting of native gardens
- Key tag power system in your chalet, to ensure energy efficient power usage
- Investment in fuel-efficient heating and cooling systems
- On-demand hot-water solutions
- Compostable nespresso coffee capsules in our Kowhai Suite and One Bedroom chalets
- Removal of single use plastic throughout the Lodge, including rubbish bags and single serve butter packs
- Tesla and standard chargers for guests
- Evie’s chickens – Pinkie, Cherry & Milky – who produce some, not all of our breakfast eggs
- New Zealand wool blankets
- Sustainably sourced bedding products using recycled plastic bottles
- Refillable in-room toiletries
Our efforts go beyond the Lodge in the work we do to support Mārahau, through the civil defence leadership during Cyclone Gita in 2018, the replanting programmes within Mārahau, and representations to local government to invest in rubbish and recycling in our village.
It’s a continual process and it’s not perfect but we always welcome help and ideas in Keeping the Beautiful, Beautiful.