DRIVING FROM PICTON, NELSON AND WEST COAST
- Take the road to Motueka. Drive through the small settlement of Riwaka.
- Continue on the main road (SH60) heading towards Abel Tasman National Park (follow the brown signs).
- When you come to a T intersection you turn left and then immediately right (follow the green Mārahau 9 km sign).
- This area is well-signposted – you are looking for a green ‘Mārahau 10 km sign’ and/or a brown ‘Abel Tasman National Park’ sign.
- Do not go via Kaiteriteri. Warning, it’s a very curvy road!
- Come over the Mārahau hill and follow the road onto the beachfront.
- Find us 400 metres further along, just past Aqua Taxis. We are clearly signposted.
GPS INSTRUCTIONS (GARMIN GPS)
- Select [Address]
- Choose [Search All]
- Type in  and click [Done]
- Type in [Sandy Bay] & select [Sandy Bay-Mārahau Road]
DRIVE TIMES & DISTANCES TO OUR LOCATION
- 16 km (10 miles) from Motueka – 20 minutes
- 60 km (40 mi.) from Nelson Airport – 50 minutes
- 200 km (125 mi.) from Picton Ferry – just under 3 hours
- 244 km (150 mi.) from Westport – 3.5 hours
- 282 km (175 mi.) from Punakaiki – 4 hours
To and from Nelson
There are a number of bus or charter companies that can get you to and from Mārahau or nearby Motueka via Nelson.
- Nelson Shuttles – taxi charter service across the Nelson & Tasman area
- Scrambled Legs – flexible charter service for up to 11 people
- Tapu Bay Shuttle – charter service
- Destination Tasman – most areas between Nelson and Golden Bay
- ScenicNZ Abel Tasman – direct services to Mārahau
- InterCity Bus – direct services to Mārahau
- The Better Bus – returns between Nelson and Mārahau. Or call them on 027 577 6975.
- Trek Express – charter service. Cost-effective for 4 or more people
- Motueka Taxis – for local destinations, including Motueka, Mārahau & Kaiteriteri. We recommend booking ahead as there are limited taxi options in the Motueka area. To book call them on 021 0876 7992.
To and from the West Coast
Using public transport, you will generally need to come via Nelson or Motueka. See ‘From Nelson’ section above for options.
Airlines fly in to Nelson airport, which is 50 minutes from the Lodge. The newly renovated airport has a couple of cafés and a small shop. It is serviced by several domestic airlines:
- Air New Zealand – wide network of flights across New Zealand
- Origin Air – flights between Nelson, Napier, New Plymouth and Palmerston North
- Sounds Air – flights between Nelson and Wellington.
From Nelson Airport
The following rental car operators have offices situated at Nelson airport:
Picton is a busy entry and exit point for the South Island. The drive time from Mārahau is about three hours. It’s pretty well signposted once you reach Nelson (coming from Mārahau).
At the town of Havelock you need to decide
1) if you would like scenic and very curvy road (we mean it!) or
2) a flat, straight (slightly less pretty) road via lots of wineries (tempting).
The landscapes change and the weather becomes a little more ‘interesting’, but the West Coast is also a pretty part of New Zealand.
They say it has about 1% of New Zealand’s population in the region. That’s not a lot of people.
The attached notes, available by clicking on the image below, might be helpful as people can be elusive (we can say that as people who live in a small town with about 200 full-time residents)!!!